Wednesday, June 27, 2007

If You're Like Me, Refurber Might Be For You

I grew up the son of a proficient handy-man. When I was a kid living with my parents, my dad made a living in the courtroom, but somehow knew everything possible about how to take care of the home. Gardening, fix-ups, painting, moving, storing, and especially anything requiring a 'gnarly set of tools' - he could do it. As a kid, I assumed it was a rite of man, and that it would someday translate to me... somehow.

Then I eventually moved out into a flat in San Francisco. My roommates and I didn't have time for home improvement projects, with all the work and happy hours. But more importantly, we didn't have space for tools. Therefore, we ignored basic property maintenance and called the landlord when necessary (remind me to post later on how to find tenants for your precious home who were NOT like us...). Eventually I realized I had some challenges. Seriously. At one point I tried to hack up a dried Christmas tree with a pocket knife so we could use it for indoor fires. The butcher knife didn't work. The end of that story has to do with a call to the fire department (see parenthetical comment above), but let's keep me on point here...

I moved again, and now I have space for tools. I also have a bigger house, that I care more about, and no landlord to do the dirty work. It is my domain. And I still feel like I know nothing. I am trying to accumulate a good set of tools, and a good set of experiences with these tools, but every little project always turns out bigger than expected, in physical and intellectual scope. It gets overwhelming, and can be demoralizing at times. I have dreams that I am walking through Home Depot in my underwear (no, not really).

So where do I turn for help? I buy books and manuals for specific projects. I call my dad to come over and help when he's up for it (almost always is). I hired a gardener when I realized I couldn't keep up with the yard. And I go online. A luxury that was not available in my dad's time, and until recently, one that usually did not live up to its potential with all the message boarding and googling and waiting and waiting when I want to screw in my light bulb right now, darn it!

Enter Refurber. This site centralizes the effort. Its a social network (web 2.0 for 'community') of people all built around handy-manning, refurbishing, repairing, and remodeling. Its a fantastic resource. Forget the random message boards and obscure sites. This is a place where people who have as big of a tool shed as my dad - and know how to use it - come to boast about their work, get excited about sharing tips, and find value in helping their virtual neighbors. Check it out.

John C. Glynn, CMPS
Real Estate Finance & Mortgage Planning
San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment